The History of Palumbos Meats
Born in 1902 Dominic Palumbo the founder of Palumbo’s Meat
Market became an immigrant from Italy as a child. He started out working in the
coal mines of the Penfield area. Teaching himself the butchering trade in his
own back yard after falling ill from the mining environment, Dominic soon earned
a reputation in the DuBois area as the local butcher. In 1927 Dominic opened the
doors at 343 West Long ave. in DuBois for Business. Eventually his three sons
Ted, Tom, and Joe would become part of the business. Then in 1980 Joe bought the
entire business and expanded it by adding a full size sausage, curing and
smoking kitchen. Operations moved across the street, and continued to grow.
Working with his father from a young age, as his father had done too, Joe (LeRoy)
Jr. became a stock holder in what is now Palumbos Meats of DuBois Inc. in 2001.
(Dominic Palumbo pictured above in the days of 20 cent Hamburger, 25 cent Veal
roasts and stew(per pound) when located at 343 West Long Ave. in DuBois)
(Taken in the early 1970’s the pork chops were 99 cents, T-Bone steaks $1.39 a
( this from 1990)
(1986 When the New store was completed)
The Grand Opening
(left LeRoy, middle A.J. Palumbo, right Joe Palumbo Sr.)
Palumbos is now still family owned and operated by Joe Sr. and son LeRoy. Over
the years we have won almost 70 awards for our products such as Hams, Bacon,
Smoked Sausages, Jerky, Hot Dogs, Lunch Meats, Snack Sticks, and Cured Beef
Products. We are members of the American Association of Meat Processors “AAMP”,
and continue to push forward with new and innovative products.